Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day, on the other hand

"On the other hand," Sister Ann
Casper's feelings about Valentine's
Day are somewhat like Tevye's
in "Fiddler on the Roof."
I Googled “Valentine’s Day” and found 412,000,000 entries! A week later, I Googled it again and the number was up to 440,000,000 entries.

Whew! Am I ever glad I have a pretty good handle on the topic and don’t have to wade through even 10 entries.

My feelings about Valentine’s Day are somewhat like Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof."

“On the other hand," it’s so commercialized and somewhat disheartening to me that billions of dollars are spent each year on chocolates and roses in order to celebrate or impress a loved one.

And “on the other hand,” should we not celebrate what is most basic in our lives — being loved and loving someone? Those who experience a loving family and being loved as children have a much better chance of growing up healthy in every way. Being loved gets me over many a rough spot. Being loved somehow makes life worth living.

So I am grateful, this Valentine’s Day, for all who love me or have loved me, even when I’ve not been all that lovable! I celebrate each of you and thank God that Providence has placed you in my life.

Just don’t expect a dozen roses or a box of chocolates, okay?

3 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

You know I am too. I love getting the phone calls and cards...they just affirm the love but I really don't need them for I have this all year long. Wonderful post. Cathy Keller

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Sister Ann, though chocolates and roses are always nice. I count my time with the Sisters and OCA as highlights of my life. I am thankful. Penny Mitchell

Anonymous said...

Hi, Penny. How nice of you to respond! Blogging is kind of a new experience for me so it's nice to know someone reads the blogs!
I hope you are doing well health-wise. You continue to be part of the SPs. Every time we share your book, thoughts of you are "right there."
Blessed Valentine's day ... still no roses or chocolates to share :)
Ann C.

Post a Comment