Friday, November 11, 2011

Feeling the energy of Sister Mary Alice

Sister Mary Alice Zander (left) and Sister Diane Mason smile for me during the spring 2010 retreat.
As the Rite of Commitment and Renewal for Providence Associates quickly approaches, I can’t help but think of Sister Mary Alice Zander, the first director of this relationship. As some of you know, I was privileged with working for and with Sister Mary Alice since the beginning of the Providence Associate Relationship in 2006.

I remember those first orientations, where, I admit, I had no idea what was going on! I went along for the ride with Sister Mary Alice and soon learned what she already knew: people were hungering for community and something bigger and more spiritual in their lives. Because of Sister Mary Alice, I have been introduced to people of all ages and backgrounds who are going about their lives sharing Providence with God’s people in a multitude of ways. Our associates and candidates have blessed me by sharing a little of their journeys with me for our website, print media and so forth.

Due to her health, Sister Mary Alice was unable to participate in the Rite of Commitment and Renewal at the Woods for the past couple of years. Even though she was not physically present, all who participated in the rite and Eucharistic Liturgy could definitely feel her presence. This year will be no different. While Sister Mary Alice is no longer physically with us, we will always feel her energy through the Providence Associate Relationship. And we will always have the gift she left for all of us: the Providence Associate Relationship. Yes, others have helped to build this relationship, but, as Sister Pat Mahoney said in Sister Mary Alice’s commentary, “Sister Mary Alice gave her all to building this relationship. She loved this ministry. It was her ‘baby’. …” Now we are blessed to have Sister Diane Mason helping to grow this relationship through its adolescent years. We are in good hands!

So, as I snap photos of this year’s Rite of Commitment and Renewal in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, I know I will also be thinking of Sister Mary Alice. I will be thankful for the years that I worked beside her, and I will be grateful for the candidates, associates and sisters she brought together to form the Providence Associate Relationship. Thank you, God, for the gift of Sister Mary Alice.

The Rite of Commitment and Renewal in the Church of the Immaculate Conception will begin at 1:30 p.m. (EST) this Saturday, Nov. 12. The public is invited to this rite and Eucharistic Liturgy.

2 comments:

Lorraine Kirker said...

Thanks, Connie. You were blessed having worked with S. Mary Alice and I am blessed by her legacy. My life has been forever changed because I am a Providence Associate and I will be forever grateful for the foundation she laid and S. Diane has built upon.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Lorraine!

Post a Comment