Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Step in the Journey of Providence for Sister Arrianne Whittaker

“This is the path traced by Providence. And I follow it.” — attributed to Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
On Saturday, August 18, Arrianne Whittaker, following her time of postulancy, took the next step on her Providence journey as she was received into the novitiate of the Sisters of Providence.
Our Constitutions state that “the primary purpose of this canonical year is to foster the internalization of Gospel values. The novitiate program includes extended time for prayer; spiritual direction; service to the Congregation; and instruction in religious life, Scripture, theology, and the history and traditions of the Congregation.”


Arrianne Whittaker receives her Sisters of Providence cross
pin from Sister Denise Wilkinson, general superior, Saturday
in the Church of the Immaculate Conception at Saint Mary-
of-the-Woods, Indiana.
When asked how she feels about this transition time, Arrianne said, “Entering the novitiate is another step along this Providential journey. I’m finding on this journey that each step I take brings me a little closer to knowing more fully, who God is calling me to be.”

Last Saturday, this beautiful and simple reception into the novitiate ceremony was held in the Church of the Immaculate Conception at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. The image of journey is very significant for Arrianne, and she chose the scripture passage for reflection from the Gospel of St. Luke 24:13-32 — the story of the disciples on their journey to Emmaus.

When Sister Denise, our general superior, posed the question to Arrianne, ”What do you ask?”

Arrianne responded, “I have heard God’s call; and it is with faith and great joy that I respond to the call. I humbly ask to be received into the novitiate of the Sisters of Providence. And I ask you, my sisters, to continue to walk with me on this Providential journey.”

Please join with us in prayer and gratitude as we welcome Sister Arrianne Whittaker! Let us journey the path of Providence together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment