Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Letter from a saint

Portions of a letter to the Sisters of Providence serving in Jasper, Ind.

(This letter was dated March 20, 1843. The mission in Jasper was started in 1842.)

“I fully enter into all your difficulties; that is the same as telling you that I suffer with you. Need I tell you that I pray for you? Every thought of my dear Sisters in Jasper is a prayer. You are lonesome, and so are we; but of this separation we do not complain. We cannot do our work if we all stay in the nest. A[s] soon as the birds fly they must be on the wing, looking after the interests of our Saviour Jesus. We shall make no account of our personal feelings except to sacrifice them. Say often, My God, I thank Thee that I have this to suffer. Offer it to Him. He will be pleased with your child-like simplicity. And rest assured, my dear daughters, if you lean with all your weight upon Providence you will find yourselves well supported. I approve of the practices you have imposed upon yourselves in honor of St. Joseph. Pray, be humble, be charitable, and God’s blessing will be with you.” (“Journals and Letter,” pp. 97-98)

To view some Saint Mother Theodore Guerin medals, visit The Gift Shop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment