Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Letter from a saint

Portions of a letter to Sister Basilide Sénéschal in Madison, Ind.

(This letter was dated Nov. 3, 1851.)

“Sister Mary Cecilia [Bailly] has a very severe cold. Her lungs are so weak that I have fear when I hear her cough. She never complains. When she says she is sick it will be time to give her Extreme Unction. I do not see her for weeks, except in the chapel.

“If you could attract more pupils for music I would be very glad; for, first, Sister Celestia can teach it very well, and, second, we are going to be in pressing need for our new house. The carpenter asks thirty-five hundred dollars for the work alone, without even furnishing a nail. Imagine what will be needed for the whole — not a cent less than ten thousand dollars. Where shall we find this amount? But, after all, we are the daughters of Divine Providence. The sum will be paid in a short time, I mean in a few years. I wish I were as sure that we shall then be good Religious.” (“Journals and Letter,” pp. 323-324)

To learn more about Mother Mary Cecilia Bailly, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment